This weekend is St Patrick’s Day. Another Christian leader from a period just after St Patrick, who has very strong Sligo connections, is St Colm or, in Latin, St Columba.
Born 7th December 521, 30 years after St Patrick’s death, Columba was a model student and entered Clonard Abbey, Co Meath. He became one of the St. Finnian’s inner circle; later known as the Twelve Apostles of Ireland. He also came upon a rare book of Latin Psalms written by St Martin of Tours and created an exact replica. Legend holds he made it ‘at night, in haste, by a miraculous light!
Finnian demanded he give him the copy, but Columba refused, reasoning that copies of the book were vital to the spread of Christianity. The matter went to the High King of Ireland, a relative of Finnian, who delivered the first copyright judgement in history: “To every cow her calf, to every book its copy”. The judgement ignited conflict between Columba´s and Finnain´s supporters, resulting in a battle at Cúl Dreinmhe (Cooldrevny), Drumcliffe. Columba, with the support of the men of Ulster, won the battle in which 3,000 people died. Guilt ridden, Columba consulted his confessor, St Molaise on Innismurray, who sent him into exile to win as many people for Christianity who had died in the battle. Thus, at a time when the Roman Empire was collapsing, began the spread of Christianity across Europe, laying the foundation for the Renaissance and “how the Irish saved civilisation”.
Read more about this remarkable period in history in Discover Sligo Magazine. Order your copy.
· OSTA CAFÉ BAR: “We have been awarded the Bord Bia Just Ask Restaurant of the month for December, 2017.”
· ISLAND VIEW RIDING STABLES: “Planning a day out on St. Patricks Day? Start with the great outdoors and finish with a black one in the local pub!”
· MULLANEY BROTHERS: "Now in stock just in time to celebrate st. Patrick's weekend. Sligo t-shirts €11.95 or 2 for €20, Sligo sweatshirts €25 or 2 for €39.95."
· POPPADOM RESTAURANT: “We have been awarded the Yes Chef Asian Food Awards Ireland 2017 Restaurant of the Year!!” http://www.poppadom.ie/
· HARGADON BROS: “Live music Friday nights” http://www.hargadons.com/
· SECRET GARDENS OF SLIGO: “We are looking for some more gardens to add to our trail this year! Big or small, it doesn´t matter. Contact with us if you are interested. Thank you.”
· LISADELL HOUSE: “New Exhibition opening in Lisadell 28 March 2018 to mark the work of women for the emancipation of women through suffrage.”
· STRANDHILL LODGE AND SUITES: “St Patricks Day in Strandhill - something for everyone!"